RSS

Sabbath Number One- Remembering

My first attempt in participating in Sabbath since the beginning of my class was this weekend. I have been thinking about two specific approaches towards the practices of Sabbath. The first is the consumer approach, which seems all too familiar. It seems too easy to add something new by reading the newest book, buying a new Bible, or even starting a new hobby that portrays itself as restful. I find myself thinking of the several new formalities that I would like to try in my attempt to practice Sabbath. The other approach is what my teacher Phil calls "meaningful connections." This entails incorporating what I already have and know towards potential practices of Sabbath. Essentially growing practices and rhythms I already have. With the second approach in mind, I have thought about this question proposed by Dan Allender in regards to Sabbath, "What would you do for a twenty-four-hour period of time if the only criteria was to pursue your deepest joy?" Here some things that come to mind and also are current rhythms I hope to grow in:
photography
music
relationships
nature
feasting with others
playing with children

So in my first attempt to engage with Sabbath, I focused connecting with the goodness of God through pursuing places/people/hobbies where I have experienced deep joy. In attempt to journal on this day of Sabbath, I made a creative video in which some of these things are displayed! Most of the photos are small windows in to how God has allowed me to see and experience the world. Which is one thing I love about photography and being able to potentially express the way I see the world!



0 comments:

Post a Comment