RSS

Sabbath Number Three- How to Sabbath while on "Vacation?"

It has been a few weeks since this particular Sabbath experience, but I will do my best to capture and share the words written in my journal while written on the beaches of Playa del Carmen! I attempted to be intentional in regards to Sabbath but I was confronted with the question, how do I Sabbath while on vacation? Shouldn't it some how seem easier to enter Sabbath due to the fewer distractions and relaxing warmth, ocean, and beach that invited me to play each day? I found myself wrestling with rest...crazy I know! Though this experience confirmed that the practice of Sabbath go beyond the concept of rest. There is a greater level of intentionality than napping and eating all day. So as I reflected, prayed, and read I was reminded of something Heschel wrote in regards to Sabbath. "To set apart one day a week for freedom, a day on which we would not use the instruments which have been so easily turned into weapons of destruction, a day for being with ourselves, a day of detachment from the vulgar, of independence of external obligations, a day on which we stop worshipping the idols of technical civilization, a day on which we use no money, a day of armistice in the economic struggle with our fellow men and the forces of nature..."

And so it was...I attempted to Sabbath with the intent of letting down my defenses, to lay down my weapons of destruction. I took on the day as believing that even my sin, the injustices of the world, grief, anxiety, and relational conflict needed to rest and be put aside. Why you may ask? In hopes for a "day of harmony and peace between man and man, peace within man, and peace with all things" (Heschel). It may an attempt to reclaim our authentic state, to participate life with gratitude and awe towards the goodness of God.

So practically this was difficult as I was challenged with my defensive thoughts towards the small frustrations that came up throughout the day. As I recognized I was hurt by something my husband said or the grief of poverty that swelled up in my throat, I simply prayed for God to help me lay these feelings aside...not out of avoidance...but affirming His sovereignty in all of this madness. Perhaps this is a practice that, with God's help, will be preparation for Eternity. who know?!

Here a few photos that I took while embracing this challenge to Sabbath while on vacation. When thinking about these pictures, more during the act of taking the photos, the word DELIGHT comes to mind!!! Yep that's right, I wrote it, delight! woohoo




0 comments:

Post a Comment